Yes. You read it correctly. Pictures below show you our effort to keep our sanity here while deployed. Djibouti has a golf course. 18 holes in fact. Now, before you go and think ‘it’s all one sand trap’, think again.
- the greens are more black / hard sand
- the fairway has grass. we saw some that is. either that, or a patch of weeds
- they have a driving range. the markers are old tires
- we had caddies – they got 1000 DJ ($6 each). They were more excited over the case of water we gave them than the money
- we were slowed down on the second hole. the goats were in the way on the fairway
- the clubhouse listed beer – but – we teed off at 0840. Had to work that afternoon, (rain check).
- they only had rightie clubs. being a lefty was a disadvantage. However, even one of my balls were used once (best ball format)
- let’s face it – this is more of a photo op than it was a sport
Enjoy the pictures below. Chris, Vince and the rest of the Marines hanging with the Chief…